Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Day 49 Thank God for Advil!

Thank God for Advil and Motrin!  Now I know I've had it good for the past 7 years.  Yes, a lot of standing at the work table.  But that was just standing.  Now, it's up and down.  Up the stairs, down the stairs.  Into the "garage" in the bow and out of the "garage" in the bow.  The knees know I've done something wrong and they want me to pay.   While here at Christmas I tore up my hamstring in my left leg.  I'm doing everything I can to make sure I don't do that again.  I haven't done the exercises I've been doing here in years.  By the time we finally set sail, I should be in much better shape than I have been in years.  Remember the day Tracy went up the mast?  She paid for that.  Her legs put her thru hell over the next few days after that event. She had classic "rubber legs".  Every time she got up to walk over the next few days, it was all she could do to get up.  She's better now but the memory is still there.  We both have lots of exercise to do before we are in good shape.  

Today was one of if not the prettiest days since we got here back in late April.  Sunny, little to no wind til late this afternoon and the feeling of warmth.  While our high was only 57, it felt like the high 60s since there was so little wind.  It was a great day.

We worked on lots of projects today with the weather being so nice.  Started out raising the Genoa(big sail on the bow of the boat) to its full height.  It had fallen a bit the last time we had Zephyr out when the rope clutch came loose.  Now it's all the way up.  Next, I installed a set of rubber seals on the doors to the "Storage Shed"(big chest built into the stern of the boat for storage) as well as the propane locker where two tanks are kept.  Every time it rained they both collected a lot of water.  While they have drains, it's better to keep the water out than have to have it drain later.

Tracy went thru more lockers where thing are stored in the boat.  Found lots of thing that we felt we will be using and lots we will not.  If she felt it was important we kept it. if not--out it
went.  Space quickly becomes a premium when you sail and if it's not important, it stands little chance of staying on board.  Two bags of things took a hike to the dumpster.       

After that, we went at the wind generator. We installed the brackets on the stern and got the base unit mounted.  Tomorrow, the rest of the unit will get installed.  It takes time but it needs to be done right.  A lot of our future electrical power will come from this unit.

As I promised, here is a picture of Tracy's decorating in the stern stateroom.  She painted the stern wall starting with a dark blue paint merging it with a lighter blue and progressively lighter to make it look like water.
Then added fish--actually stuffed fish from "Butt Uglee Designs".  Jennifer Jones, a really talented and fun designer back in Denver we've known for quite some time.  Nice job--beats the heck out of a pure white wall.

We played taps for our 2hp outboard motor today.  It died a horrible death from rust and corrosion.  I took it to a mechanic to have it serviced and overhauled.  There was more rust and corrosion on it than there is on my knees.  Had to use a pair of pliers just to open the fuel line.  When the mechanic poured out the old gas--into a bucket full of other old fuel--it looked like a cup of coffee with lots of milk added.  It sat on the top of the other old fuel and then sank to the bottom of the bucket.  It was anything but gas.  Lots of corrosion in the tank had corrupted the gas and with that, the engine.  It would have cost far more to get it fixed than the engine was worth.  It looks like I'll be getting a new outboard for a belated Fathers Day gift.  On to a bigger motor for the inflatable dingy.  It will give us lots of power to get thru wind and waves. 

Time for bed--and more Advil.  Tomorrow is coming and I want the knees to be prepared for it. 
  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Has been so enjoyable to read your blogs weekly....all up's/down's, in's/out's! Have friends in Seattle and they have been keeping me up on the lousy, cold, windy weather also! Was great to see your artwork Diana (Tracy)in your new home...as I see in my home everyday!! Thanks for keeping us posted on events....very interesting!! Shirley Marlow