Sunday, May 31, 2009

Day 397 Into Shearwater Marina

The day dawned with a total fog out.  The entire lagoon was enclosed in the white stuff.  First we have seen since we left Port Townsend almost two months ago.  I thought that once I installed my fog horn, we would never have it again.  That's the way it normally goes doesn't it.  Add on a piece of equipment that you don't normally use or that you needed and didn't have and you don't ever have to use it again.   We sat and just waited.  It burned off quite quickly.

The other three boats in the Codville Lagoon took off by 0900 but we wanted to hike up to a nearby Sagar Lake.  We piled into Puff and headed ashore.  With the tide gong out, we used our long line that was tide to the dingy and pushed her out away from shore and headed up the "unimproved" trail.  I'd put on my foul weather boots so I could step ashore with out getting wet so I wore them.  With in 30 feet, Tracy was headed back to Puff to put hers on.  It wasn't so much an "unimproved" trail, it was more an improved stream bed.  With the previous days rain, it was a soggy mess and from the look of it had been for quite some time.  We had to watch where we put our feet or we would sink in a good 12 inches into the muck.

The books said it was about a 20 minute hike according to the books.   They most not have had togo through the bogs we did.  The lake was gorgeous.  Almost three miles long.   The water was the color of Lipton Tea.   A golden brown color due to the cedar trees that surround the lake.  Once we got there, we came out on a very pretty sandy beach a couple of hundred yards long.  There were all kinds of animal tracks in the sand.  Bear, deer, raccoon, and cougar tracks from the look of them.  Every one needs fresh water.  The hike back was just as much fun but a bit quicker since we already knew where not to put your feet. 

When we got back to the lagoon, there sat poor Puff, high and dry on shore.  The tide had gone out and she didn't stay in the water.  About 5 feet up the shore from the water.  I grabbed the motor and Tracy took the bow and we slowly dragged her back to the water and headed back to Zephyr.  We hoisted her on deck and had a nice lunch in the cockpit.

By 1300, we were off for Shearwater.  As we left Codville Lagoon, up the channel came two big ships.  We slowed down and let them pass just turning in circles waiting for their wakes to hit us.  We were all heading up the same channel but there is only so much room and they're a lot bigger than we are.  I fired up the computer to have our AIS working and of course, that is when the computer decides to not allow me access to that piece of equipment.  Oh well, it only works when you don't need it.  It hasn't worked since so I'll be playing with it over the next day or so as time allows.

While I was down below waiting for the ships to pass, I checked on the propeller shaft to make sure it wan't leaking again.  Nope but the Aqua Drive appeared to be having some problems.  It was making a screeching sound as the shaft turned in low throttle.  There was a bit of grease coming from one of the holes where it joins the transmission.   When the engine is running at normal speed, there in no noise.  Now I have something else to investigate and try and fix.  

Once the ships had passed, we headed up Lama Channel towards Shearwater Marina.  Since we were entering a channel that carries much bigger ships, I used the VHF and announced our entrance to the channel so other would know we were there.  With no response, we headed in.  About half way up the channel, Tracy saw a microwave tower that looked to be for cell phones so I fired up the Macintosh and checked to see if I had service.  Yes, we sure did!!  It was the first time I have been on line for almost a week and I had lots to get done while I could.  I posted the previous days posts that I had done in another program and then checked our emails and there were a bunch.  Now most were just spam as expected but since the computer already had my mail program running, it downloaded all 72 of them.  I would have some reading and filtering to do later last night.  I sent out some asking questions about the Aqua Drive and to friends about other things. I had a very strong connection and it was quite fast for a change.  It's a good thing I did it while I could as here at Shearwater(right around the corner)I have a very poor connection but at least I can get on line.

Up past Bella Bella and around to the Shearwater Marina(52 08.849N 128 05.306W).  I'd called ahead on our VHF to make sure they had room for us.  We got the last place they had.  Two of the boats that had been with us at Codville were already there.  We got settled in and hooked up the electricity.  It was already 1700 so we checked in and went to the local restaurant for dinner.  It's Saturday and just about everything around here closes at 1730 hours for the rest of the weekend so we will have to wait till Monday for fuel.  The water here is not "approved" by the government as safe for drinking(like Shawl Marina) becouse they don't have "approved" filtration devices on their water systems.  There are signs all around that the water must be boiled to be used.  Of course the water that made the ice in my drink comes from the same source and I'm still fine this morning as is everyone else in the village.  It's just another government regulation they are forced to live with.  Even though the water may be fine, we aren't going to load up our tanks.  Better safe than sorry and we still have plenty of the stuff to live on.

Another sailer stopped by(tied up right behind us)and we went over some of our charts as to how to get along to our next destination.  He's been cruising up here for years on his boat.  We saw him later at dinner and he stopped by later to pick up some books we had discussed earlier that were authors that he enjoys reading.  Book swapping is the name of the game for cruisers when we pull into a marina.  A nice guy.  It's really nice having input on courses when your new to the area.  

We had a quiet evening--light till well after 2130.  Heck it was still light after 2200.  I'm just not used to that yet.   Today, jobs while in the marina plus I can get rid of the old oil and do some things I couldn't do while on anchor.

I better get to them.  We are on the internet as of now bot don't know when we will be again so stay tuned for more, we just don't know when.  We're closing in on Prince Rupert.

No comments: