Monday, June 1, 2009

Day 398 Ready to take off tomorrow.

We spent the day on more repairs and inspection Zephyrs systems. The day dawned absolutely beautiful. The forecast was high winds--25 to 35 knots. It never showed up so some of our friends took off today instead of tomorrow. We stayed here and did some work that needed doing.

I changed out the pencil zinc that is in the "heat exchanger" that's attached to the engine. It wasn't to bad but I felt it needed changing. The zincs purpose is to stop other pieces of metal corroding due to stray electrical current.

Next, I got rid of all the old oil that I drained from the engine at my last servicing. I'd had to stow it under the stern bunk until I got some place that would take it and that place was here. They took the old filter too.

I re-swaged(wrapped wire around the fitting so it won't come loose) the end of the anchor onto its shackle so that it won't come loose. The previous wire I had used had broken over time and it needed to be replaced. Tough to do when the anchor is always at the bottom of anchorage when you have time to replace it.

I checked every fitting and screw on deck as well as every bolt to make sure they were all good and tight. I don't need any kind of equipment failure. I check all of them at least once a month or more as time allows. We've already come close to loosing some important equipment due to a loose bolt.

Into the engine room and after the propeller shaft seal. I loosened the fitting and tried to slide the big stainless steel disc that makes the seal just a bit farther down the prop shaft. The factory specs say that I should be at 8.175" and I was at 8.375" as far as the compression of the fitting. The darn thing wouldn't budge so I tightened the set screws and started the engine just to make sure the shaft was still sealed. So far, it is keeping out most of the water. There are just a few drips as it spins and it's been that way for quite some time. I email the manufacturer for advise as to how to get it slid just that 1/4" farther down the shaft. With luck I hear while I still have internet access.

On to the Aqua Drive. I checked the bolts that hold it to the transmission and they are on tight. No give there. There is a small rubber cone that holds the grease and it may have broken. Not sure yet so I cleaned up all the grease and will check it after tomorrows usage.

We went over to the fuel dock and got Zephyr filled up. We expect tobe leaving tomorrow at about 0600 and they won't be open. Too just over 60 gallons so with my figuring, we are averaging a gallon per hour or about 7 knots to the gallon. Not bad for a boat this big and heavy.

I worked on the other computer to try and find out why the AIS won't work. The folks at Nobeltec sent me a list of things to check to see if there even was a connection between the computer and the AIS equipment. As it turns out, there isn't. The device that changes the signal from a 9 pin connection to a USB connection has apparently died and isn't allowing the signal through to the computer. I will need to find another probably in Prince Rupert. I already have email the people that sold it to me as well as the manufacturer to see if they will replace it. It's got a two year warranty and I've only had it for about 17 months. I got it at Christmas a year and a half ago.

We hooked up the satellite dish for Direct TV. Still works this far North. You know, I'm not really missing much with no regular service. TV tonight was really quite bad. Oh well.

Well, it's off to bed. We are planning on leaving at 0600 and that's early in my book.

More to come when I can. I have to admit, we are seeing a lot less people up here the farther North we get.

No comments: