Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Day 408 The last for a while.

This will probably be the last post for a few days.  We don't expect to be able to connect again till we reach Petersburg in a few days.  We will be back in boonies again after we take off tomorrow for points North.

We took off this morning with our friends on Astarte to visit one of Ketchikans brothels.  It had closed many years ago but they have preserved it for the tourists(us).  In order to preserve it in it's original state, they have let the place go the a very sorry state.  Interesting to see but in very bad condition.

We located a replacement serial to USB device to help get my AIS(automatically identifies ships in our area)program back on line.  After a bunch of tinkering, I got it back up and running but lost the use of my GPS in the same program.  I've sent a message to Jeppesen that makes the program so I should hear back from them in a few days as to how to correct the problem.  They have been a big help getting everything configured in my computer.

The drill we use to make our winches electric broke a screw a while ago that holds the "chuck"in the drill.  I managed to find a dealer that carried the screw I needed so I bought two.  I've already had two break on us since we bought the drill back in 2008.  Now at least I will have a spare.  The drill we use is a Milwaukee 90 degree drill so we stick a special bit in it that will fit in the winches sos as the drill rotates, it makes the winch take in the line.  Lots less work for us and we can pull in line very fast using the drill.  Works great till the battery dies. 

Tracy did the laundry while I was running all over Ketchikan getting these errands done.  I'm sitting in McDonalds typing this post as my internet device doesn't work here.  

As to the picture of Blue, one of our furr people, she was just resting on top of the dodger under the mainsail enjoying the breeze.  She goes where the other kids won't.  NO fear!!  Thank goodness we have nets around the edge of the boat.  It's the only thing keeping her on board some times.

Well, I have to get back to Zephyr and get ready to take off tomorrow for points North.  I'll try and post more as soon as we get back to civilization.  Stay tuned.  There's more to come as we head North towards the glaciers.
 

No comments: