Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Day 467 & 468 The work continues.

Over grown and covering most of the gate area.After the clipping to clear the gate and getting them ready for the trash man to take away.

The work at the house continues.  I've been to Home Depot and Lowe's more times than I can remember in the past 5 days.

As you can see from the pictures, I've been doing a lot of pruning the bushes back that have over grown their area.  I had to do these since they blocked my access to the gate that needed repair.  I ended up using not only clippers and tree trimmers but also an electric reciprocating saw to get through the bigger branches.  Into cans and out with the rope to bundle the bigger branches.  

As to the gate, I changed out the hardware for the hinges since they were bent and the job went much easier as reinstalling the old hardware was just about impossible with out tearing one side of the fence apart.  The new hardware runs along the line of the horizontal 2 X 4s instead of having to be bolted to the 4 X 4 post as the previous one had been.

Now the gate is all repaired and works better than it did when I originally built it years ago.

Here's a picture of more hail damage in the back yard.  It ripped lots of holes in the cover for my grill.  Amazingly,  there wasn't a dent in the top of the grill.  CharBroil makes a tough grill.

I had to cut some big branches off our trees in the back yard as some had died and several looked quite ill with some kind of blight that had eaten through the bark of several branches.  Off they came before(hopefully)it moved to other branches of the tree.  I guess we will see.

I got a call from the roofers just after 0700 on Monday that they were in transit and should be here by 0800.  At 0750, I got another call that they had to reschedule my job to Wednesday since the weather had put them behind schedule.  When I told the second caller that the first caller had called, he back tracked and said I had more information than he did and they must be in transit after all and should be here soon.  As I waited for the roofers, I painted the edges of the garage door so I could roller paint the rest later and then put a second coat of paint on the shutters.  By 0850, I was getting worried and called the roofers to check and make sure they were actually coming.  They assured me that yes, they were in transit.  At 0930, the showed up.  They ran into traffic and got lost as this crew came up form Pueblo, Colorado to do the job.  Roofers are a precious commodity here in Colorado as hail storms have been particularly violent this year. 

Up went the ladders and off came the roof in sections.  As they finished ripping off one section, they installed the new shingles while another group went at another section of the roof.  As the weather here in Colorado is very unstable during August(rain forecast just about every afternoon)they want to make sure that the roof has the new shingles installed as quickly as possible.  They were still going strong at 1930 hours and finally acknowledged that they were not going to get the job done in one day and would have to come back Tuesday to finish.  Off they went at 1945 and I took off for a quick burger at "Good Times".  Back at 2015 and  out with the rollers and paint and I painted the garage door in the setting Sun and the dark that followed.  A second coat will be needed just to make sure it stays nice and white over the next few years.  

The roofers showed up just after 0700 this morning and started removing the final section of the roof.  They then told me that they were about to run out of supplies to finish the job and had to send for more shingles and nails.  I guess who ever estimated the job didn't do such a good job.  I'm not sure when they will finish but I still have to drive to Lake Granby today to check on "Sloop to Nuts", our Laguna 26 sailboat.  The marina(Grand Elk Marina)that is supposed to be selling it lost the keys for the doors so they can't show it to anyone.  At least that is what they told us a few weeks ago when they had a person interested in seeing her.  I have one key left and will have to take a hacksaw with me to get the lock off the outboard motor as they had the only key we had for it.

It's going to be a long day today.

No comments: