Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Day 14--Two weeks in!!!

Two weeks in and the work is progressing nicely even if we can't get a workman here to save our souls.  

The electrician that was due here last Thursday or Friday---I called him today to see what was happening.  Now I get "I'll try and get there in the next few days".  Here comes that turnip truck again!  The diesel mechanic is supposed to call me tomorrow to lie to me again as to when he will be here.  He's put us off three times now.  The fiberglass repairman I called called me back after I called him a second time.  He doesn't work on boats, only bathroom fixtures.  I've got a fiberglass repair kit and am ready to do it myself.  It won't be seen by the public so who cares how pretty a job I do.  As long as I get the leak stopped on the holding tank.  Figure if I put at least three coats on, that should do it.  Of course, it has to stop raining and get to 60 degrees before I can start the project.  We were one degree from setting a new record for the coldest high temperature (50) on record.

We dropped off two fire extinguishers on Monday of last week.  I tried to call to see how they were doing as far as getting recharged and inspected.  All I got was the answering machine.

I know that patience is a virtue, but come on.  All I hear on the news is how bad the economy is.  I'm trying to put money into the economy and all I get is excuses and delays.  Is there something about small towns I'm missing?  Newport's not that big!   OK, the rant is over.  Now back to the really important stuff.

While pulling things out of the front bunk, I came across the tiller for the emergency steering system that is used if the main hydraulic goes bad.  Couldn't find a bolt or pin that is used to connect it to the rod that goes thru the deck and fits on the rudder.  Plus, I found the weld is broken on one side.  It has a "U" shaped end that goes over the rod that goes below deck.  One side of the "U" is cracked.  I went to the hardware store and got a new bolt as well as a new pin and cotter pin.  Never hurts to have a backup.  I then found a welder that can re-weld it.  Don't want to be in some big blow and have it go bad at the most inopportune time. I can pick it up tomorrow.

We were taking some more things to Good Will when we stopped at the local feed store to get cat food.  We got great service from one of the owners.  One of the items we were taking to Good Will was our old TV that has a DVD player in it.  Tracy thought she might be able to use it as a sales aide.  Run DVD's about the products she sells.  We offered it to her and instead of using it for the store, she will be using it to teach CPR classes.  Had always had to jury rig a system to show her students.  Now she has it all in one unit.  Tried to pay us, but we refused.  At least we know it will be used for a good cause.

Still making more inroads in to getting more organized.  We stopped bringing boxes over for the past few days until I get caught up on what I have here.  She's looking better but has a ways to go.  The last few boxes are wine(yeah), and tools and odd stuff I packed.   The workbench is already packed on Zephyr so I need to organize before the rest comes.  

Tomorrow--fiberglass and maybe that trip up the mast, weather permitting.....

No comments: