Monday, June 30, 2008

Day 60 A day of rest

Today was a day of rest.  

For the past two months we've been going at it working on systems--ordering, installing and replacing.  With the surprise finding of the broken board that holds the propeller shaft in place, the renovation continues.  We consider ourselves lucky that we found it now and can get it fixed with advise from other boaters that have a lot more knowledge than what we have and workshops around that can make replacement parts.  If this had happened at virtually any other time our safety could have been compromised.  This board keeps the propeller running true with no vibrations.  If it had shattered while underway, it could have caused the shaft to go sideways and destroyed the packing material that surrounds the propeller shaft that keeps water from coming into the boat.  Not a happy thought.

Today was pretty much a day of rest.  I did laundry this morning while Tracy stitched at the boat.  With all the work she has been doing, she deserved some quiet time to relax.  After getting it all done and folded, we had a nice lunch of French bread, cheeses and Summer sausage out in the cockpit.  A nice relaxing lunch.

I worked at the computer studying our navigation software.  I couldn't keep my eyes open so I took a nap---yep, that's right a nap.  I haven't done that in years.  An occasional snooze but this was an honest to God nap!!  Two hours of rest.  The kids came by and joined me so the bed was full.  Got up a few hours later--not fully rested but better than I was.

I took more photos of the broken board to show the metal fabricator tomorrow so he will have a better understanding of what went wrong and what we need.   If I can, I'm going to try and get him to come to the boat for his professional opinion.  Can't hurt to try.  He may have a better suggestion.  We'll see tomorrow. 

No comments: