Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Day 69 A day off

I recounted our days and today is actually day 69 not 68.  Not a big deal but hey what the heck.  Accuracy counts when you're a sailer.

Computers again today.  One of the couples I have been emailing that is currently in Turkey sent me a navigation program that includes ALL the charts for the entire world.  All I had to do was get it up and running.  Now he sent me the program back in February and working on it on and off over the past months I couldn't get it to run let alone see the charts.  Last month I finally got the program up and running but couldn't get the charts to display properly.  After several emails back and forth, I finally found which file had the charts and did the old copy/paste routine from the disk to the hard drive.  It too over fifteen minutes to get them transferred just to give you and idea how many there were.  I rebooted the program and I was done.  I now have the charts for the world.  To let you know how much this saved me--to get all the charts for another program I run would cost over $11,000!!!  That's what this program has saved me.  Tom tells me it is the program that is used by more sailers than any other.  It was well worth the work.

Tracy did laundry this morning while I paid more bills and sent emails out and washed dishes.  Off to the post office after lunch and on to the computer work I talked about above.  I then spent the rest of the afternoon working with it trying to get my GPS and AIS to run on it.  They require different cables and connectors so I'm off to the computer store tomorrow.

We still have some water coming into the bilge.  That's the space way down in the bottom of the boat.  We haven't found where it's coming from yet, but we will.  We just pump it out once a day so it doesn't get out of hand.  I have automatic pumps down there but I don't want to wait for them to kick on.  Some where there is a leak from a tank or from a thru hull.  We will find it eventually.

Meanwhile, the wind just keeps on blowing--always from the North.  That's the direction we need to go so that won't work unless we want to motor all the way and that's not what sailing is about.  With steady winds of 20+ and gusts to 27, we just sit and wait and do odd jobs that we have been ignoring in favor of more important jobs.  Now the small ones go to the fore front.  

Tomorrow is another day


No comments: