Sunday, July 27, 2008

Day 89 I don't feel so bad.

I don't feel so bad about our lack of experience after what I have seen at this marina.  I will admit, I am not the best boater but I try and learn from my mistakes and try and do better next time.  Some of what I have seen here is beyond understanding.

Last night at about 10pm as we were watching a movie on the tv(off the macBook) we heard an engine running beside our boat. Now this marina allows boats to "raft up".   This is when one boat is tied to the dock and another attaches themselves to the side of your boat.  They will stack them three across here.  The boat beside us appeared to be struggling against about a 10mph wind from the west.  We were facing into that wind and nicely tied up.  This guy had manuvered himself perpendicular to to our boat--head on toward our side with another boat tied up to the dock behind him and us in front and virtually no control of his boat.  He had a woman at the bow --no life jacket with  a line and no idea what to do with it.  Another at the stern--no life jacket with an even shorter line and no idea what to do with it.  The"captain" was at a loss as to what to do.  He had planned on motoring in and tying up to the Sea Marine dock.  Sorry--all full with other boats waiting for Monday work.  He looks at me and says--"Are you aware you're tied up at the Sea Marine dock?" My answer was "yep".  His next comment--"Well, we are scheduled to have our boat hauled out on Monday"  Basically--get out, we want your space!!!  I told him what we were also scheduled to be hauled then.  All the slips were full--heck there were 5 other boats rafted two wide all the way down the docks and he expected me to get out at 10pm--I don't think so!!!  There was no choice but to try and take his lines--all to short--so we had to get some of our lines and toss them to him so he could get connected.  Then, his fenders(rubber bumpers that you put beside your boat when you come in) were to small and too few to do the job--so out come more of ours.  As it turns out--he had four people on board-three adults and a child plus a dog.  None with life jackets and no running lights--matter of fact--no lights at all.  I had to loan him a flashlight so he could see inside his boat.  

We got him tied up and off they went to drive back to Bremerton, I think for the night.  This boat is at least 40 years old and a wreck.  He referred to it as a "project boat".  With what that boat needs, I hope he has a really BIG bank account.  He is going to need it.  It would be cheaper just to buy another boat.  No electrical, the port holes are just that--holes--no windows in them and the deck is a mess.  No life lines either.  I don't think I would leave the harbor in it, let alone sail in Puget Sound.

We've seen people just hit boats and keep on going while leaving their slip, run their boats up and onto the docks.  It's amazing what we have seen.

As it turns out, he isn't allowed to raft up to our boat at the Sea Marine dock, so I left him a note as we ran our errands.  I don't think he will be gone when we get back.  He is expecting to get away with out paying for his "raft up", plus the slip he will need for tonight.  Good luck with that.

It's raining her a bit with some more coming later.  We brought it with us.  They "needed the rain".

Our rigger sent us an email--he is coming back late this next week.  That works out fine with us.

The fun(workmen)start tomorrow.

1 comment:

mhaws said...

They walk among us!!! Marty