Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Day 92 Let the games begin!!

Sea Marine started work today.  Jack--the electrician--pulled the starboard alternator this morning and is taking it to the shop for inspection.  It appears to have been dipped in salt water at some point and has a good bit of corrosion on all the bolts and leads.  He had me put some"Kroil" on all the threads of all the bolts early this morning to loosen the threads of the bolts.  Apparently this stuff will loosen just about any bolt it comes in contact with if you let it sit for a while.  Gets in and loosens the threads and off the nut comes.  I pulled replacement fan belts so at least they don't have to be ordered(thanks Bill & Susan).  

Our rigger--Brion Toss--has returned to Port Townsend.  He called earlier today.  Apparently, he hurt himself while in Hawaii and is on some strong medication.  He expects to be down to see us either late today or tomorrow.  YEAH!!!!  That is one of the bigger projects we had slated for this trip.  With all the work that is being done to Zephyr, she will be an even better boat than she was.  After the trip up the coast, I trust her.  With this work, she will be even better.

I spoke to the boat yard about our haul out for bottom work but said I wanted to wait till Brion came back so he could see the boat in the water.  Now that he is back, I expect we will get hauled out either late this week or early next.  Doesn't matter to us since it isn't like we can go anywhere.  With no alternators, we couldn't even start the engines.  With no mast, we couldn't sail.  So onto the "hard" for a while.  As long as we have a set of stairs to get on and off, not problem.

I finished my first real novel yesterday in over a year.  I've been reading manuals and installation guides and sailing info books for the past year.  It was great to actually read some thing that had a plot and not "insert tab A into slot B and twist".  Took me two whole days and what fun it was.  I've started another.  They have a nice little library here at the marina.  Take one and leave one.

Now it's back to the boat to see what the afternoon brings with the workmen.  I'm at the local ice cream store as they have WiFi for free.  The sacrifices I make for you people!!;-)

No comments: