Thursday, January 8, 2009

Day 253 The Ark?

So far, no sign of the Ark.  Seattle is getting it bad.  Lots of flooding and the main hi-way(I-5) is closed.  Lots of schools are also closed and people have been evacuated from their houses.  First came the snow.   Then came the rain to melt the snow.  It's a mess over there.  While it is wet here--lots of rain--it is no where near what is happening there.

We sit snugged in reading and stitching the day away waiting for the Sun to come out and the place to dry out.  Maybe tomorrow.  We did make a run to Safeway for more "supplies" though.

One of Tracy's pictures fell off the wall a while ago.  It's one of the pieces of cross stitch she did many years ago that had hung in our last boat and made the move to Zephyr.  Unfortunately, when it fell, it broke the joints of the frame.  This baby was done by us a long time before we opened our store and became "professional" picture framers.  My job yesterday was to glue it back together.  With no clamps nor an under pinner, I had to get creative.  I used a card to put glue into the joints(still together but loose) and used a short piece of rope to go around the frame and then tightened the loop of rope with a pencil to pull the pieces together.  Let it sit for an hour or so and then went onto the next corner.  I let it sit over night just to make sure the glue has set and can now put her picture back together again.  Creativity, who would have thought it?

Our antenna came in for our SSB radio yesterday.  It clamps onto our backstay (big wire that goes from the deck to the top of the mast) and then runs down through the deck to a tuner.  Normally, it has to be spliced into the backstay but this one doesn't.  We had found it on sale and grabbed it.  We had planned to have it all installed last Summer, but when the transmission went, so did the money to have it installed.  Now we will try and do it ourselves.  I'm sure I can find a good book on exactly how to do it or get answers from several of the cruiser forums I log into.  It can't be that hard.  I just have to make sure it is grounded well and the connections are sealed to keep the moisture out.  It's all a learning experience.
   
Tuesdays dinner was set to be steak on the grill.  Well, it was raining at a good clip but what the heck, I wasn't going to melt so I started up the grill and did the steaks in the rain.  Sure I got wet, but at least I didn't have to dig my grill out of the snow as I have done in Colorado.  At least I could sit in the covered cockpit while it cooked.  Of course, I had to use a flashlight to see how they were doing as they cooked.  You have to admit--I'm a dedicated griller.

Today, we wait for the Sun today to start the dry out.  Well, at least for a few days.  Sun, Sun, where for art though dear Sun?

By the way, if you haven't tuned into the Sandpiper blog(linked on our site) you should.  They almost lost their mast coming across the Atlantic!!

No comments: