Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Day 273 A sunny day!!

Yes, that's right, a SUNNY DAY!!!  It's the first since last Monday.  It can really trash your spirits with gloom and overcast skies everyday.  

I started the day getting the IRS forms mailed out.  I found out the location of the Post Office--down South in Bremerton, or West to Silverdale.  I went to the one in Bremerton down South.  I took the coast road to enjoy the scenery.  Out they went.  With luck, they should get delivered in a few days.

I tried to do the soldering on the connector for the fog horn where it plugs into the VHF radio.  I got two on but the second pair just wouldn't hold.  I looked in the phone book for a computer repair place and called them.  Yep, they could do it.  Off I went.  Forty five minutes later--all done.  I checked them with my ohm meter--makes a sound if the connection is good.  Now all I have to do is connect it to the fog horn we found.  If it works, I'll thread the wired up to the deck and get it set for use later when we go out.  It can also be used as a hailer to call other boats if we have to.

We straightened up the boat yesterday and threw away a bunch of things from the boat show.  I kept business cards from the important people that we need to contact later.  We'll heading back to the show on Thursday and Friday.  Tomorrow, off to Port Townsend to pick up the case of salsa we ordered in.  We can't get 505 Salsa up here in Washington state and so we just ordered it on line.  We placed the order before we left Port Townsend so back up we go.  

I just called Andersen Machinery in Port Townsend.  They're the people that are making our new clevis pin for the forestaysail stay.  This pin holds the wire on the mast that our storm sail goes up on.  It should have been done last week but they were closed.  Mr. Andersen admitted that he had misplaced the order but would would make it today so we can pick it up tomorrow while we are there.  It's the last piece of our rigging that needed attention.  We'll be done with that portion of the refit.

Now off to Safeway to do a photo blog of our new home.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sheesh! Next time give your electronics-savvy son a call when you're having trouble with soldering.

Most likely your problem was either the wires weren't clean enough (abrase with sandpaper/wire brush/etc), there wasn't enough flux, or you weren't using enough heat (battery operated soldering iron? yergh)

Anyways, glad you got it fixed!