Monday, September 1, 2008

Day 125 Stronger?

Now I know that when you exercise, you normally get stronger.  That's right isn't it?  How come the more Tracy and I work on Zephyr, the more aches and pains we have.  I'm up and down stairs and ladders everyday.  Bending, standing kneeling, walking.  That's exercise isn't it?  We're both doing lots more stuff than we ever did in our past life.  How come our bodies hurt more?  Shouldn't we be getting more limber and stronger?  What's with that?  I know age sucks, but with all the work/exercise, we should be getting better, not worse.  Tracys back, knees, and hip are really getting to her.  The hip is from a pinched nerve as the pain changes as she changes positions, but the rest is just pain.  My knees are really showing how much they hate me.  When we were on Zephyr back in December, I trashed my left ham string and had to take steps one at a time for quite some time once we got back to Denver.  Now it appears to be back.  I've started taking the stairs up and down to Zephyr one at a time.  At least with the hull done, I won't be up and down the ladder anymore.  That should help.  If I can give any advise to the younger generation, it would be to take care of your knees.  I know you can get replacements now, but hey, at least take care of the ones you have.  Rant over.

I spent yesterday polishing things again.  The stern got another coat of wax to protect the new letters.  The propeller got another buffing so I can start putting on the anti fouling paint.  This keeps the barnacles etc from growing on it.  Then off to the stem fitting.  This is the piece of metal that is at the bow that the anchor rolls over and into the water.  Ours was removed so the teak can be replace.  The wheels on it are bronze so I thought I would give them a bit of a buff.  They aren't shiny bright, but sure look better.  All the boats made today have their wheels made of steel so they look totally different.  Zephyr may be old, but she sure looks great.

Jack, the electrician, came over for a short while yesterday.  Tagged some extra wires for us to remove.  Tracy had fun tracing them and pulling them out while I was down below polishing.  Some of them went all over the place.  Cut and pull, cut and pull was what she did for quite some time.

I told Jack the windlass(pulls up the anchor) had stopped working.  He had disconnected the wires--gee, what a surprise.  He hooked them back up and it works again.  He disconnected them again since he still had more wiring to do before he was done with that circuit.  I plan of draining the oil from the windlass this afternoon--weather permitting.  It's cold right now.  I can see my breathe as I sit here.  At least it is supposed to warm up to 60 today.  I'll settle for some sun shine instead of clouds.  We might actually hit the low 70's by the weekend.  That would be great as the Wooden Boat Festival is set for then. 

Back to Zephyr.  Jack is coming over this morning to get more stuff done.  YEAH!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure your bed is first class? Could contribute to the aches and pains.

Dave in Boise