Saturday, November 1, 2008

Day 186 Chart updates.

I installed new chart updates for my Garmin 172 GPS/Chartplotter.  I purchased their latest updates and went about installing them not only on my computer but also the chartplotter.  This is a gizmo that is right in front of me right on the steering column or binnacle.  It tells me not only where we are but gives me charts of the area we are in plus what services are available in all the areas we go to.  I'm currently set up with the charts for Washington down to South of San Francisco.  I''ll be purchasing more charts for it next year for farther North and down South toward Mexico.

I have several other electronic chart/ navigation programs but this on is right in front of me as we steer.  I have C-maps, Nobletec, and Max Sea programs as well so we are well covered.  I have a remote terminal that will link with my Acer computer that will show me what is on the screen of the computer(kept down below nice and safe)as we sail.  This way, what ever navigation program I'm running, I can see it on deck.  It's got a range of 150 feet.  If I get past that range, I've got real problem.

During the installation, there were problems of course(it's on a computer), so I called Garmin for a technical assist.  They walked me through the installation.  First, the program didn't recognize my customer ID, we got that resolved.  Then it wouldn't recognize the gizmo that installs the information on the chip that goes into the chart plotter.  At which point the tech transferred me to the higher techs for help.  Since it was after hours there he didn't feel there would be much of a wait.  He was right.  After about 10 minutes on hold  I got cut off!!  Since it was after hours, I went at the installation myself. I rebooted the computer and did as he had told me and computer recognized the download gizmo for the chip and installed it just fine.   The original tech sent me a message to make sure I had gotten the help I needed from the "upper" techs.  I told him what I did and that all was well.  Nice getting good help even if you do get cut off once in a while.

I actually took time off yesterday to read a magazine.  I'm glad I did as I found a blurb in it about an up coming class on "Boat engine maintenance and troubleshooting" that is being held right down the coast in Port Hadlock next month.  It's just what I have been searching for since while I know the routine things to do, I don't have the full scope of what to do in an emergency.  There is no AAA out there.  I placed a call and left a message.

I've started clearing up my messes in the nav station and my work bench area.  I can really trash an area fast while working on Zephyr.  Today is clean up and clean out unnecessary things.  I can be such a pack rat sometimes.

More rain and high winds are scheduled for this afternoon just as they were yesterday.  The Sun will come back eventually. 

Don't forget to set your clocks back tonight.  "Standard" time returns.
  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bill and Tracy

You mention and boat engine maint and trouble shooting classinPort Hadlock next month. Is it open to the public. If so can you email me the contact info, Thanks

Capt Kook and Admiral Patricia

dkuchen@cport.com