Sunday, November 30, 2008

Day 214 Rain, Fog and more of the same.

We're at Jones Island, just West of Orcas Island. A whole 1.5 miles West of Deer Harbor. We left on Friday morning as we were trying to get out before as a blow from the South was expected and since we were exposed to the South, we felt it better to get going as the harbor we were headed to is open only on the Northeast side. A well protected harbor. There was no reason to stay any longer, especially at $37.50 a night. We were there to make it easier to cook Thanksgiving dinner(use the microwave oven) and get the batteries fully recharged since we had the problem with the alternator since leaving Point Hudson. With the batteries fully charged, we should be able to keep them charged with the engine and the DuoGen--at least we hope so.

We still have no internet nor cell phone so I am still using a program called Mars Edit to write this so it can be posted once we get service. All I have to do is get somewhere where they have service and it will post it for me. We're still fine and dandy--though a bit dew logged as it doesn't seem to rain but it sure has intense dew.

I figured out the problem with the Panasonic Toughbook. I had turned off the wireless connector that is built into the computer. It suddenly dawned on me yesterday as I sat at the computer what was wrong. I turned it back on and up came the Toughbook. Problem solved!! I'm slowly learning the tech side of life. I pretty much know what not to touch so I don't get in trouble. When I do, the tough part is remembering how to get myself back to where I was.

The engine has been giving us a bit of a problem starting over the past few days. It was not wanting to start up unless the key was turned a few times. This morning, I had Tracy sit at the controls on deck as I turned the key while I had the engine doors open. There appeared to be a small spark coming from around the starter on the engine. I inspected the wires and found one of the wires to it was loose. I tightened it up and the engine started right up. We were afraid that if the problem continued, we would have to head back to Point Hudson this morning.

With no real set schedule, we pretty much take each day as it comes and decide by what the weather is going to be as to where we will go. With there being drizzle and fog in the straits outside our anchorage, we may sit still for another day. If it clears up, we will take off for Prevost Bay on Stuart Island. They have another state park there with a nice dock we can tie up to. We really want to get our monies worth out of the state parks pass we bought.

Tracy made Turkey Curry for dinner last night. She knows my tastes so well. It really hit the spot. I stocked up on at least 6 different types of curry before we set foot on Zephyr. Only cooking half a turkey has been perfect. Some leftovers but not enough to feel you're choking on turkey. There's enough for another sandwich or two. We can cook the other half in a week or so.

I finished a book yesterday called "Cross Bones" by Kathy Reiches. A tough read as I just couldn't get into the characters. She's the author the tv show call "Bones" is based on. Can't say I'd recommend it.

Tracy is sitting across from me stitching by flashlight. She's working on "Sail Away" by Shepherd's Bush. She's only stitching the center part of the chart--and doing it over one so it will fit on Zephyr. The little landscape part that has a house on a hill with a sailboat on the ocean and a lighthouse. She never met a chart design she didn't want to change--and did. She's getting into this nautical thing. She thinks of Karen Page every time she comes up clean and goes down dirty--or at least that is what she told me.

Stay dry out there.

More to come.

1 comment:

KAREN said...

KP says hi and glad Tracey remembered my tip. I think of you guys all the time. Happy Sailing!