Thursday, November 13, 2008

Day 197 Taking it easy.


We're still taking it easy since both our backs are in rebellion.  I keep using a hot water bottle and it gets better as each day passes.  I found that the drugs didn't really do anything to ease the pain.  Tracy is just stiff at the base of her back and may go back to the doctor.

I spent the day going through more papers and magazines that have been piling up.  Now I need to find a grinder to get rid of all the personal papers that I don't want to just put into the trash.  No reason to give another person access to important numbers that are on them.

I'm still looking for the instruction manual for the DuoGen wind electric generator.  It's here somewhere.  I'll find it if I have to turn the boat inside out.

More rain yesterday afternoon and very windy through the night.  It can really howl out here. 

Brion and Gordon came by late in the afternoon and "tiged" the rigging.  This is what you are seeing in the picture.  After the rigging is in place and after a few sailing trips, the rigging has to be set so that the wire adjusting turnbuckles can't loosen up.  Most riggers use cotter pins to keep the shafts from turning.  Brion uses bronze rods bent to fit through both holes at once so there is no possible way for the shafts to come undone.  Brion and Gordon worked in the rain to get it done.  It's one of the last things that needed to be done.  I stayed out there with them to see exactly how it was done.  Once done, they invited me back to their loft and gave us a present of a "lucky"knot.  Apparently, in sailing history some knots were thought to bring luck to sailors.  They custom tied this one in the traditional hemp fibers that have been used on sailing ships for generations.  I now have it hanging in our navigation station.

Today is set for more cleaning out and the hunt goes on for the instructions for the DuoGen.  It is supposed to be sunny but the wind is hitting 15-20 knots.  Oh well.


No comments: