Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Day 222 Class begins.

Class on diesel engines started last night.  It's about a 20 minute drive to Port Hadlock so that's not bad at all.  We drove down a few weeks ago just to find the school since I knew I would be driving down after dark.

There are about 18 people in the class so it's not to large.  Lots of nice people.  Many with more knowledge than me and many with less.  I fit right in.  Last night was the basics.  This is a diesel engine and this is how it works.  Lots of information was included about the similarities with gasoline engines.  Probably the biggest difference was that gasoline engines require a spark plug and diesels don't.  The teacher brought out lots of parts from engines he had worked on.  Most were blown and burnt from improper care.  Amazing how trashed parts of an engine can get without the proper care.  Tonight will be more on the "what to do and what not to do" on the engines.   I took out the owners manual for our diesel engine and read through it last night.  That alone gives me information for more question tonight. 

We met a young lady named Kristen that is thinking of having Brion Toss do her rigging.  I ran into her and Gordon as I was heading up to the marina office.  She had her rig inspected and expects to hear back from Brion as to what he recommends and what it may cost.  I invited her over for a chat when they were done.  We talked for about an hour about what to expect and what questions to ask.  She's on a 30 footer and expects to take it off shore like us in the next year with her husband.

I dropped off the stanchion at the welders yesterday and may have it back today.  We will be running errands to Sequim this afternoon so I probably won't pick it up till tomorrow.  The part for the starboard life line came in yesterday at West Marine.  Unfortunately, it was the wrong size and must be reordered.  Oh well.

So today is errands and class tonight.

No comments: