Friday, December 12, 2008

Day 225 Snow?

We've got snow and lots of wind in our forecast over the next two days.  We could have anywhere from 2 to 8 inches of the white stuff and winds up to 60mph.  It sounds like a normal winter day in Colorado--but not here in Washington state.  I took down the flags and tied down everything on deck.  The docks were a sheet of ice last night when I got back from class.  The winds are picking up as I write this.  The snow is set for later.

Yesterday was full of odd jobs or in other words, a normal day.  

I added "Stabil" to my gasoline tanks on deck for the outboard and the generator.  It keeps the fuel "fresher" for longer.  At least so they claim.  I'll still have to check the tanks for condensation before I start pumping it into the engines.

I put a biocide into the diesel tanks as diesel will start growing stuff if you don't.  A water level sets it self up from again condensation in the tanks and you have to keep the growth to a minimum or better yet, stop it entirely.

We pulled all the cushions up and inspected all the batteries.  There was some acid on top from the charging process so I put baking soda on them to neutralize it and will be cleaning them up today.

More antifreeze was added to the tank on the engine.  It was down about 1 1/2 inches so it needed some more.  I talked to my instructor about it last night and he advises me to run the engine to make sure all the air is out of the pipes.  Apparently, it's not like a radiator in your car that you can just pour and go.   Oh no, you have a pep cock on the top of another tank that has to be opened to allow any air out of the system that may have gotten in while the fluids were low.

I stopped at the local NAPA and picked up a stethoscope to listen to the engine.  It can make it easier to diagnose problems in the engine.  I also got a set of flare wrenches to take off pipes that attach to the engine.

The new toaster we got back in July has died so the factory is sending us a new one.  They just don't build them(Kitchen Aid) like they used to.  At least they will replace them.

I ordered chart updates from the Canadian government for the charts we bought a while ago.  While it is a "new" batch of charts, they still were last updated back in 1993 so updates will be required before we set off for up North next Spring.

The toilet in the stern head has been leaking water out of the top of the pump ever since we got Zephyr.   In we went.  Screws out.  Bucket at the ready with of course the mandatory slew of paper towels.  Out came the water.  While not a lot, we were back to the stinky stuff all over again.  I'd never seen a toilet like this one.  Lots of parts to it.  Not the simple one we have in the bow.  Well, to make a long story short, I found the bag of parts that Bill had left in Zephyr when we bought her for that head, but no seals that would solve the problem.  So I put it back together until we can get the required parts.  I put in a new seal to the base of the pump--it hadn't been leaking but parts of were missing.  Hey, guess what--the new seal in the base leaks worse than the one I had taken the head apart to fix!!  Boy, sure is fun out here.  I called the manufacturer and they told me to go to West Marine to order the parts.  Heck, that only takes a couple of weeks so no problem.  We may just buy a new toilet and get on with our lives.

We had to stop at the police station to get the VIN number on our Mazda verified.  Our registration on it expires at the end of the month.  We got the card from the state we all look so forward to that tells us to get the emissions checked and send in money.  Well, guess what?  Only a few counties in Washington state require an emissions test.  The closest is a two hour drive--one way.  I emailed the folks at Colorado's DMV and they agreed to wave the emissions test but I would still need to have the VIN verified by local law enforcement.  I stopped into the Port Townsend station and they won't do it.  They will write me all the tickets I want, but they can't verify a simple VIN number.  They tell me to go to the state police and they will do it there.  They gave me some phone numbers and I left messages.  Apparently, I have to make an appointment to get it checked and they may not do it since I'm not active military.  They are only a 1 1/2 hour drive--each way of course.  I  sent another email to DMV.  We'll see what they say next.

It's blowing at about 40 knots right now.  I took a break to add another line to the four I already have tieing us to the dock.  I took down the wind generator as once you hit 40+ it's almost too much for the machine. 

We just got back from West Marine--another errand.  They have no listing on the toilet that I need to get parts for as I talked about above.  I guess it's time for a new one.  Now that hunt goes on.
 
My last diesel class was last night.  We got into the exhaust systems and more on water systems and electrical.  It was a great experience.  At least I now know what I'm looking at when I stare into the engine compartment.  I have one more class at another place on the 20th.  Now I know what questions to ask at that seminar.

Well, that's about it for now.  As always, more is coming.
 

2 comments:

mhaws said...

Did you pack your shovel??? By the time you are threw sitting in dock for the winter, you will have all kinds of stuff for the storage unit. Hope you are warm and dry down below.

mhaws said...

That's supposed to say THROUGH sitting in dock, not threw, guess I was thinking of shoveling. DUUHHH