Sunday, December 28, 2008

Day 242 Christmas is past.

Christmas is now past with all its memories.  Ours was very quiet and for that we are thankful.  Better it that way than the rush that Christmas always presented in the recent past.  

Ours of the past 10 years have been always a rush to get things done for our customers with little rest until just a few days before the holiday.  When you own your own business, the customer always comes first.  Their needs  always out shadow your own.  This year, with the business sold, we could actually enjoy it as it was just for the two of us.  We had the time to sit back and relax and think about times of the past.

The memories of Christmas's of my past as I grew up always started with sitting beside the door at the end of the hall that led to the main portion of my parents house.  Our bedrooms were in a separate section with a door to keep it closed off.  My brother and I would get up long before dawn and sleep against the door to make sure that no one got past us to the presents that Santa brought us.  The rush to see what was under the tree and in our stockings!!  We had to wait for our parents to get up.  When you're young, the seconds waiting could seem like hours.  

Each family has their rules.  We could look at what Santa had brought us but no presents could be opened until we had breakfast, the dishes were cleaned, and beds were made.  It always seemed like HOURS before we were able to get at the good stuff.  Each person got a gift in turn until all was done.  Strangely, very few presents stand out in my memory.  The biggest was my new bike that I got at heaven only knows what age.  It had TWO speeds.  I could go like the wind--of course not until the snow melted in the Spring as we lived in Pennsylvania and just about always had a white Christmas.  I went through a lot of playing cards clipping them to the spokes of the wheel to make it sound better as I peddled.

One if the best parts of Christmas was my mother making fruitcake.  Yeah, I know, that one thing at Christmas that is mocked by the media.  The butt of jokes and stories of the cake that keeps getting passed around the family but never eaten.  Door stops.  Ours were cherished and eaten with much joy.  My brother and I would count the amount of cherries that we each got in each slice to see who had the most.  This year, Tracy found my Mothers old recipe and made a batch for us.  The memories it brought back were amazing.  I made sure to send a brick(it has some weight to it) of it to my brother back in Pennsylvania.  He knew exactly what was in the foil as he opened the box.  It has to be 40 years since I have had it.

This year, we we're on board our boat.  Snugly tied up to a pier in some snow and blowing winds waiting for Spring so we can set out on our adventure.  Just the two of us--plus the three fur people that keep us company.

Dinner was special as we had been invited to the Shanghai Restaurant for a special dinner for friends and family.  About 20 people in all.  Duck(just like in the "Christmas Story"movie),plus a shrimp dish that was beyond belief in its flavor.  Rice, vegetables and more.  A great feast was presented.   We really felt special being asked to attend.

Now that Christmas is gone, we wait for the New Year.  Awaiting Spring and beginning of our journey to where the winds take us.  

The tasks continue.  Extra parts are stored and manuals are read.  Internet searching for more information and knowledge.  It never stops, but that is what life is all about.

I hope each of you had a great Christmas as we did and that the coming New Year brings you joy.      

No comments: