Monday, December 29, 2008

Day 243 Finally outside.

The weather relented yesterday and allowed us to get some outside work done.  We checked the decks and found them still partially covered in mold.  A common problem here in the Northwest where water and humidity are plentiful.  It did surprise me as the temperatures have been so cold for so long that it would continue to grow.  I would have thought that two weeks of below freezing temperature would have done away with it.  I guess not.  Time to bring out the bleach water with a sprayer and a brush to wash it away.

I tackled our Honda generator in the afternoon.  The oil hadn't been changed is quite some time and needed some attention.  We had used it with our last boat while at anchor or when tied up to the dock at our old marina back at Lake Granby in Colorado.  For what we paid for the slip, I would have thought that they would have had electricity to the slips but unfortunately no.  It got cold up in the mountains of Colorado and having some electricity made being on board comfortable.  This generator will give us 3000 watts of power to keep the systems topped up when the wind isn't blowing or we aren't at a dock with power.  Out with the old oil and in with the new.  A simple job that just needed to be done.  I took the old oil up to Sea Marine for disposal and poured in the new--just over a half quart.  I unscrewed the "flame arrester"in the exhaust system and got it all cleaned and de-sooted.  On the fuel line is a "fuel sediment cup" that needs to be unscrewed and cleaned.  Honda recommends using a "nonflammable or high flash point solvent" for cleaning.  Not being sure what this might be, I called Honda this morning for advise.  Unfortunately, they are closed till January 2.  I guess it will just have to wait till then to get the job finished.  Anyone have any suggestions?

We had great wind(with some rain)yesterday so I let the DuoGen loose to make power.  Since the wind was right on the bow, I locked it down so that it would stay always pointed in that direction to get the most power from her.  She really rips in the winds we have been getting.  I did shut her down when we went to bed.  As it revolves, the sound resounds down in the stern stateroom.  I fired it up again this morning.  Now the wind is shifting from the South to the Northwest so that means a weather change is coming.  We just had a bout with hail. 

Today, Tracy is trying to rearrange the cabinets in the galley now that we have been on board for a while.  I'm about to empty and rearrange the contents of the draws in my workbench.  I'll have a better idea of what I have back there. 

The odd jobs continue.

No comments: