Sunday, February 8, 2009

Day 285 Bills big adventure.

My first stop of the day.

My day began taking the 7:20 ferry from Bremerton to Seattle.  My class on Ford Lehman diesel engine was scheduled for 12:00 and I didn't want to be late.  

Since I was heading to Seattle, I tried to combine it with other errands.  I needed to go to the Apple store to see about questions I had on my MacBook and my IPod.  My IPod won't accept all the movies I have been trying to download into it and my MacBook keeps coming back with "error" messages when I do a "repair preferences".  This isn't a PC so I didn't expect these kinds of problems.  

I was smart enough to make two appointments--one for the IPod and one for the MacBook--with the "Genius Bar".  That's one great thing with Apple, they always have tech support for you machine no matter how long you own it.  

I got there right on time for my first appointment and got shuffled back and forth between two "geniuses".  The answers I got were not what I expected.  "Oh,the error messages--that's normal.  You will always get them"!!!!  Say what!!! this isn't a PC where you expect to get "errors".  This is a MAC!!  As to the IPod, the answer was, "Well, the file must be corrupted.  That's why it won't download".  Now the TV show I was trying to copy over to my IPod was on a DVD that had three shows on it.  This was the middle show.  The one before it was fine as was the one after it.  I think I got the "I have no idea what the problem is and so I'll just go with the "file is corrupted" excuse so he will go away"excuse.  What a disappointment!!  I thought I would get some good help, especially from one of the company stores.  I have gotten great help in the past from the store in Littleton, Colorado.  We checked on Tracy's IPod and the show that won't transfer to my IPod is there just fine.  I think I got the "bums rush"!!  Oh well, there is always phone support.

Since I got done a lot earlier than I figured, I had time to make a quick stop at "Fisheries Supply" to look for a replacement dorade (big metal wind scoop that is screwed onto the deck).  One of ours is missing.  No luck.  The one they had was too big.  I did find a magazine I wanted.  While checking out, the man in front of me was buying a bunch of life jackets.  These are normally big money items and since he had 5 of them, he was in for a big bill.  I passed him one of the discount coupons I got at the boat show.  That saved him some big bucks.  I wasn't going to use it and he could put it to good use.

Next onto the Inflatable Store.  We want to add two more handles to our inflatable dingy to make it easier to handle when on deck or on shore.  The address on the Internet was wrong so I got lost.  The phone number wasn't good either.  So I just went to Pat's Marine for class.  I was there by just after 11:00--real early.  I told them of my search for the Inflatable Store.  They knew exactly where it was so off I went.  Found it just fine.  Not even close to the Internet address.  Only problem--they were closed!!  What retail store is closed on a Saturday?  They had a sign with a phone number to call for an "appointment" to get into the store!!  I called them and got an excuse about why they weren't there but they promised me and email with particulars on the handles and the glue to attach them.  We'll see.

I returned to Pat's Marine with plenty of time for the class.  They covered all the basics of our engine.  It was great having a class with pictures of our engine as the model of what to look for as you worked on your engine.  I did find out that some of the components of ours isn't original which means some parts are newer than 1981.  That's a good thing.  Now I have a better idea of exactly what I'm looking at in our engine compartment and how to work on it.

After class, I went to "The Second Wave".  A used marine supply store with tons of used(see the definition of the word "junk") equipment.  I don't think I have ever seen a store more crammed with just about worthless stuff.  None of the electronics were newer than ten years old(obsolete).  Lots of this and that.  Other than some mast steps that I could have used, there wasn't a thing I could find a use for.  A disappointment.

My last stop was Qdoba for dinner.  They had sent me an email for a free burrito with the purchase of another burrito.  Qdoba has always been one of our favorite restaurants and since there are none out here on the peninsula,  this was a no brainer.  I just brought the second one back to Zephyr for lunch.  Add on some of their queso and chips and it was a great meal.

I made it back to the ferry and took the 6:45 for Bremerton.  Home by just after 8:00.  A long day.

Our son used to live in Seattle.  I can understand why he never owned a car.  Driving in Seattle is a challenge.  It feels a lot more cramped than driving in Denver.  The streets just feel narrower than back home.  It's nice to be back home.

No comments: