Saturday, February 28, 2009

Day 305 Still broken!!




I started the day by installing the Webasto heater.  Got it all installed and NOTHING!!  No fuel pump, no heat, no nothing.  It was as they say "dead in the water"--literally.  I called Sure Marine who had fixed it the day before.  Their comment--bring it in--all of it!  So out it came all over again.  This time, I also took out the fuel pump and the circuit board.  I also took out the new thermostat and boxed it all up.

By the time I got it all removed (of course with a smile on my face and with a cheery spirit--yeah-right!!  I didn't want to take my blood pressure right then.  I was not a happy camper), we had time to make the 11:20 ferry to go back to Seattle.  Back to the repair shop.  The heck with eating breakfast.

The folks at Sure could not have been nicer.  They knew our schedule--or at least what we hoped would be our schedule--we'd planned on being out of Brownsville by Sunday morning.  They took the unit in for diagnosis while we took off for a quick lunch at Wendy's.  We took our time so they could work on it.  Got back and it was up and running just fine.  Dan--the tech, had installed even some new circuitry on the old circuit board so we would be just like the new machines.  He turned it on and it ran great.  He showed me how to prime the fuel pump that goes into the heater so I wouldn't screw it up.  I'm much better after a show and tell session than just reading it.  We went to pay for his labor and they said--"NO CHARGE"!!  Man, now that is great service.

We made a quick stop at SeaMar for a new faucet for the stern head.  It currently has two faucets--hot and cold like most older houses.  We wanted to make it so that the water mixes before it comes out of the faucet like the new faucets on houses.  It makes it much easier to wash your hands than alternating between the hot water and the cold to get them clean and rinsed.  I'll install it later.

Back for the 4:20 ferry again (a fast hit and run trip) and back to Zephyr by 6pm.  While Tracy made dinner, I started the install.  In went the new thermostat.  In went the heater and the circuit board.  Next, the fuel pump.  All bolted or screwed in.  With Tracy's help I primed the fuel pump so that the diesel fuel was ready to go at the end of the fuel line and attached it to the heater.  We were ready to go.

I turned on the heater--NOTHING!!  No fuel pump noises, no ignition, no nothing!!  It was dead!!  (God bless blood pressure pills)  I started backtracking and testing.  We knew the fuel pump worked.  They had tested it and I had done the same as I primed it.  We knew the heater worked--they'd started it up.   So all that left was the wires or the thermostat(they hadn't tested it)  I replaced the wire harness for the fuel pump--yes, it had primed well, but we'd had them make a new one for us just in case.  Still nothing.  I checked my wiring schematic I'd made as I took wires off.  All looked fine.  I read the instruction manual that came with the new thermostat.  Wait a minute,  the wires weren't hooked up as they should--even on the last thermostat.  I checked and double checked the wiring at the harness--color by color and what terminal they screwed onto.  Two wires were reversed at the thermostat.  I switched them out and NOTHING.  Now we knew it worked--had on the service bench.  So out with the new thermostat and in with the old one--wired correctly.  Boom, on it came!!!  The new thermostat either doesn't work, or won't work with this particular heater.  It was the only thing that hadn't gotten tested.  We were up and running!!  

I let it run a full cycle as that was what the problem had been, it wouldn't do so with out several flame outs.  Ran great.  The only problem is that the old thermostat has an 8 degree range.  On at 65 and off at 73.  Or vice versa, the boat has to cool to 65 before the heat kicks on.  A bit of a large range if you ask me.  I reinstalled the new thermostat--checking all the wires were hooked up to the appropriate screws.  Still nothing.  It just doesn't play nice with others.  Out it came and in with the old one.  Ran fine.  Go figure!  I'll be calling Sure Marine to get a replacement this morning.  They can mail it.  No more ferry rides.  It's almost $30.00 for a round trip and that adds up quickly.  

Today, packing in stores for the trip.  With Costco here, that makes it easier.  We still plan on being out of here tomorrow though Sea Marine won't have space for us at their docks till Tuesday, we plan of anchoring out for a couple of days.  Finally get away.  Tracy will drive the car to Port Townsend and I'll take Zephyr.  We'll meet up there and take off for a close harbor and drop the hook.  I can sit back and relax for a change.  It will be nice.

I took the photos on the way over to Seattle.  It was one of the clearest and calmest days we've seen on the sound.  We got lucky on each ride that we were parked on the outermost car area so we had a great view all the way over and back.  We could have gone inside but it's more comfortable in the car.  Don't forget, you can click on the pictures and see them full size.

It's going to be a busy day, but hey, if we don't get it done we will just wait till Monday and leave then.  We are after all, living the dream!!

Have a great weekend!!

No comments: