Friday, February 20, 2009

Day 297 Odds and ends.

Started the day calling companies about information and to correct some problems.  I started with Nobeltec and the update they sent me for their navigation software.  It wasn't giving me all the information that the last edition did.  A few simple clicks of the mouse and the problem was resolved.  They are normally good at solving problems with their software though I'm still waiting for an answer to a problem I discovered back in December while we were out cruising.  Apparently a known error but they haven't resolved it yet.

Next--a call to Glacier Bay Refrigeration Systems about their hatches for boxes like ours on Zephyr.  I'd left messages over the past few days with no response.  Of course, the answering machine told me in its announcement that the person I was leaving them for wasn't checking his mailbox for messages so why would I expect a response.  And yet companies are complaining about no business and this guy can't be bothered to check his messages?  I just don't understand that train of thought.  But heck, that's just me.

I finally got through to him.  I needed information about the sizes they make their lids in.  Their website only gave a "finished size" for their measurements.  OK, is that the "finished size" for the opening at the top or the opening at the bottom of the hatch where the box is?  This thing is shaped like a cork.   I'd found some measurements the day before but couldn't find them again.  Well, he started hemming and hawing about the box lids and finally told me that the "finished size" is the size of the opening at the box, not the top where you need to cut the hole.  BUT--they were revamping their line of lids and he wasn't sure what the sizes would be now.  Apparently, they don't make the section of the lid that you have to epoxy into the counter top.  They just make the lid that fits in it.  They've been having problems with inconsistencies and needed to revamp the line.  He asked me how soon I needed it--NOW.  That's why I was calling.  When I asked him about the drawings of the actual measurements for each hatch and why I couldn't find them on their website, he started talking about the construction and "rare earth magnets".  I couldn't get a straight answer out of him as to where I could find the answer to my question---"Where are the schematics for the lids you make located on your website?"  That's all I need to know.  "Well, what lid are you looking for?"  I just couldn't get an answer.  Ah---the frustration of talking to corporate folks!!!  He finally told me that they had probably been taken off line since they were redoing the line and that he would see what he could put together and email me with information as soon as he could.  Insert the definition for the word "frustration" here.  I finally gave up  and gave him my email address and hung up.  I'll let you know if he ever gets back with us.

We'd talked to another company at the Seattle Boat show about their hatches for refrigeration units.  They had promised to get back with us.  We'd talked several times at the show over the course of our going there so they knew we were serious.  They had even brought in one of their lids for us to see.  They promised to call after the boat show but probably not for several days after the show as they would be settling back into getting back to their offices after the market.  I'd called them a week after the show since I hadn't heard back from them.  Yep, they had my information but some of the people at the show had gotten sick and he was short handed but would get back with me as soon as he could.  To this day( three weeks later), I have never heard back from them.  There's no problem with the economy, there is just problems with the corporate environment that they can blow off customers that are ready and able to buy but they just won't give them the time or day.  And yet, watching the evening news, all you hear is complaints about how bad business is.

OK, the rant is over!  Sorry, I just had to vent.

I got on the website for a company called R Parts, downloaded their information on hatches for fridges and printed out their specs.  Our space is quite limited so after much measurements and use of a tape measure, we finally made a decision.  Back on the web and I placed the order.  The heck with the other companies.  You snooze your loose!!  Job done and we got confirmation that it shipped to Sea Marine in the afternoon.
Into the engine compartment to check two systems.  One, the anti syphon valve I talked about yesterday.  We started the engine and I did as the factory told me and it works just fine.  Then onto a small pep cock on the top of the engine.  You can just make it out in the center of the photo.  When you add any antifreeze to the system, you're supposed to open the pep cock to bleed off any air that may have gotten into the system.  I didn't do that the last time I added to the system so now was as good a time as any.  Once opened, only water came out, no air, so I was fine.  Close up the engine and off to the next job.

After all this, it was time for lunch.  It's amazing how much time you can spend on the Internet researching a project let alone finding a supplier that will work with you.

After lunch and a nice shower, we took off for some more errands.  Bonita--a friend on another boat here at the marina-- told us about a market in Poulsbo.  That's about 10 miles up the road.  "Central Market".  Off we went.  We'd planned to go to Safeway but hey, lets go exploring.  She had raved about it and was right.  It was quite the market.  Lots of specialty items from all over the world.  It took a while to see it all.

Back to Zephyr for a great beef enchilada dinner.  We used some of the enchilada sauce we'd ordered in from "505" company(try it if you can find it--order it if you can't).  We'd always used another companies sauce but it was time for a change.  Wow--what a difference.  It said "medium" on the label but the folks at "505" are on a while different plane as to what Mild, Medium and Hot mean.  Tracy could not believe how hot it was for a "medium" sauce.  I wasn't sure she was going to get through it.   I burned out my taste buds years ago so I just dug in.  Tracy couldn't believe that I didn't feel it was too spicy.  Caste iron taste buds.  I do have a limit as to what I can take, but it's up there a good ways.

And that's about the way the day went.  The weather forecast for today is clear and wonderful.  When I got up, the could ceiling was up at the top of the hill above the marina.  Now that's low!!  Sunny?  So far--No.  Oh well, the day is early.

Have a great day.
 
  

1 comment:

KAREN said...

505 best green chili from a store