Saturday, February 21, 2009

Day 298 Chock full of fun.


A busy day today.

It started with installing a new 12 volt line for the boat.  It was to replace the line that had gone under the port side settee to an outlet on the settee.  I'd ripped out the old outlet and installed the new one yesterday.  Today, take out the old wire and run the new wire.  Through walls and through cabinets.  Under boards and over to the leading end of the settee.  Electrical connections were made and connected to the circuit panel and to the outlet.  It took a while to rip out the old and run the new.  Before I knew it, the morning was gone but the job was done.

Next, launch the inflatable dingy.  We'd rigged up a whisker pole(metal pole with fasteners on the end to attach to the rigging)to assist in lifting it.  With a line attached to the end of the pole and the opposite end attached to the mast, we were ready to go.  We turned over the dingy and attached it to a set of block and tackle and up it went.  Over the side and into the water--slick as a whistle.  

Once in the water, it was time to unlock the new outboard motor from the stern and lower it onto the stern of the boat.  We'd bought a set of straps that wrap around the top of the motor to make it possible to lift it and lower it.  It again went slick as a whistle.  No problem.  We attached the gas lines from the tank, pulled out the chock and primed the carburetor.   We figured out how to put it into neutral.  It was done with the turn of the throttle handle.  The switch that put it into neutral had frozen so I needed to free it.  With it in gear, I couldn't even pull the cord that starts the motor.  Now that it was free, I pulled the starter cord.  Nothing.  Again, nothing.  Over and over and over.  A bit of a sputter but that was about it.  I called the local service center/dealer and they told me to bring it in if I couldn't get her started.  I called customer service at the factory.  They walked me through the starting--again, lots of pulling that cord with no success.  Tracy went for a cart and I unhooked the motor.  Off to the service center to have them get it started.  They expect to have it ready tomorrow.  Unfortunately, I'll be in a class on boat wiring over in Seattle so it will have to wait till Tuesday.  They're closed Sunday and Monday.

Over to Costco and and PetSmart for more supplies.  A quick stop at West Marine.  We'd broken one of the ends of the whisker pole while putting the dingy into the water.  We bought some hardware and took off for the marina.  Tracy stored what we bought while I took off for the marinas shop.  I needed the use of a drill press to drill holes in the pole.  Not a job for a hand held drill.  Once drilled, I took off back to West Marine for one last piece of hardware and then back to the marina.  We needed to get the dingy out of the water so things won't start growing on her hull.  Since we won't have the motor back till Tuesday at the earliest, there was no reason to leave her in the water.  Again, we used the whisker pole with the new hardware I had installed and this time it worked perfectly.  The pole, a set of block and tackle and a lot of line and up she came.  Onto the deck and that's where she will sit till next week. 

With that being done, the Sun was setting and our time outside was over.  Back inside to get ready for dinner and a nice quiet evening.  I have to be up at 5:30 tomorrow to take the 6:20 ferry over to Seattle.  I don't want to be late since they made special arrangements so I could attend this class.  

Have a great weekend everyone.

No comments: