Monday, March 2, 2009

Day 307 Soggy

One of many jelly fish we see floating through the water in the slips.  This marina area has a tremendous amount of aquatic life.  Far more than Point Hudson has.  We're not sure why but every day we see more and more.
One of our resident star fish.
A star fish sitting on the bottom on our walk out the pier.  The water is quite clear.

It rained yesterday morning till about 10:30 and then quit.  Tracy took off with the laundry while I worked around Zephyr trying to diagnose our situation with the generator.  

When we are hooked to shore power, all is well.  When we hook up to the generator, the "reverse polarity" light on the circuit panel lights up.  Not a good thing.  If true, it can do some damage to some systems.  I checked the outlets.  When on shore power, they show up on a tester as just fine.  Wires hooked up to the right poles on each plug.  When on a generator, they all show not wired correctly.  Either the "hot and ground" is reversed or the "hot and neutral" are reversed.  When I plug in the tester, the reverse polarity light comes on solid.  When nothing is plugged in, the little light blinks on and off.  If I plug in the tester to the generators plug at the generator, the tester shows an "open ground".  I'll try hooking the generator up to the ships ground later and see what that does to the problem.   When I posted the problem on several of the cruiser forums, I get the response that this is a problem with all Honda generators and to call Honda for advise.  It always has an "open ground".  The forums say not to worry about it.  I'll call Honda once I have more minutes on my phone.  I've just about used up my minutes for the month and Verizon gets really pricy if I go over my limit.  At least I reset on the 4th.

It started raining(and still is this morning) about 1:30 yesterday afternoon.  Tracy wasn't back with the laundry and had no phone so I took off for the laundry room about 2:30 with her foul weather gear so she wouldn't get soaked on the way back.  She still had clothes in the dryer when I got there.  Other people had been doing their laundry and the driers take a lot longer than the washers and the loads kept backing up.  Wash was done before the driers were available.  Luckily, the driers finished shortly after I got there so we loaded up the nice clean laundry--wrapped it in plastic bags and carted it back to Zephyr.  All safe and sound by 3:30.  As I said, it has rained ever since.

The weather delay that caused us to wait here proved to be correct.  While relatively calm here, they were having gusts to 23 at Port Townsend.  It would have been a bumpy ride.  It's now blowing here so we'll see what today brings.

I made arrangements with a local diver to come out this afternoon and inspect the zinc on our propeller shaft.  It looks far more degraded than I think it should and we would feel better having it inspected.  If it is shot, we will replace it and try and find out why it went so fast.  It should last about 9 months or more.

 I took apart the rudder assembly to install the polymer disk that I had ordered a few weeks ago.  Now the steering assembly rides free and clear of the heads of the bolts that had restricted it movement.  It will no longer be stopped by the bolts and we will have a rudder range of from 40 degrees to port and 40 degrees to starboard as we sail.  It will make turning a lot easier.  I will have to check the nuts that hold the assembly together on a periodic basis as the nuts, even with a lock washer, were not as tight as I had expected them to be when I got down there.  As they call it, "routine maintenance".  

The Sun has come out but it's blowing well.  We'll see what today brings.

Have a great day every one.

No comments: