Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Day 308 Packing and stowing.

Today was spent packing and stowing gear on Zephyr.  We're getting ready for the trip tomorrow back to Port Townsend/Point Hudson.  I expect to be leaving here about 7am and get there by about 1:00 if I can maintain the speed I did on the trip down.  I've calculated the currents and they will be pushing me out the Admiralty Inlet all the way to PT.  I just need to make sure I get to the Agate Bridge--also known as the "Cluck Cluck Bridge" by 8am as that is the time that there 
 no current going under the bridge.  It's known as "slack tide".  I don't want to face an incoming tide when I get there.  It's not fun to hit that head on.  Timing is everything on a trip like this.

We had a diver out to Zephyr this afternoon to change out the zinc on the propeller.  It was shot and needed to be replaced before it fell off or caused a wobbling of the propeller.  Neither would be good.  Since we had never seen a diver at Point Hudson, we wanted to get it changed before we set off.  It's cheaper than a haul out. With that done, we're set to go.

I spent a portion of the day checking our navigation computer programs.  With these running, I'll be able to "see" ships anywhere around me as I head out the inlet.  It's called AIS and it basically picks up a radio signal from the large boats around us.  It's required by law that boats of a certain size have one of these on board.  It make it much easier to see who is out there.  It even gives me their call sign for talking over VHF radio if I want to.

Tracy will be following me up there in the car and meet me there.  It no where near as much fun traveling by myself.  Hopefully there will be no fog as I had on the way down.  Plus it will be a good bit lighter earlier in the day.

I'll let you know tomorrow how the trip went.  It's off to bed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like your boat goes through an inordinate amount of zincs. Can you do anything to change the electrolysis?

Dave in ID

S/V Zephyr said...

I've checked the systems as far as bleeding off current Put a tester on the 110 from the dock--reads "0". Checked the same with the shore power off--"0". Checked my Zinc Saver II (galvanic isolator)--came back with a reading of .965--well within tolerances. Pulled the grounding wire off the strap that rides on the prop shaft(where the zinc is) and checked for any stay milliamps--again "0". I'm not putting current into the water. Apparently another boat at Brownsville was. The zinc was new if memory serves me when we launched back in October but not sure. I may have put the one back on that I had attached by a diver down in Newport in May of last year. I can't remember but since I don;t see any partial zincs laying around the boat, that is what I probably did since it wasn't to bad at the time. Newport had a rep as a "hot" harbor with all the older and neglected boats at the marina. This baby lasted about 4.5 month plus 2 from when it was originally installed. That makes it 6.5 which is still quick in my opinion.
I talked to Jack now that we are back at Sea Marines docks. He thinks its a bit fast also so I'll be doing a few more checks this week while we are here.