Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Day 309 Safe and sound.

One of the mid-channel buoys that dot the transit channel from Seattle all the way out the Juan de Fuca channel.  It's just like any street you drive on.  Incoming on the right coming in and out going on the right going out.  No muss, no fuss.  Each "big" ship is in radio contact with a central dispatcher that monitors every "big" ship that is in the straits all the way from the West end at Neah Bay all the way to Seattle/ Tacoma area.
First freighter and only freighter I encountered on the way up to Port Townsend.
A tug heading South with cargo.  There are lots of these in the water heading back and forth through all the channels from Canada to the US every day.
Second tug with a three barge train.  I encountered this group just as I was getting to the North tip of Maristone Island right across from Port Townsend.  I had to wait for them to pass before I could turn to port to head across to Point Hudson.  Don't forget--you can click on the photos to see them larger.

Made it safe and sound to Port Townsend with no problems.  I left at 0725 and got in at 1225--5 hours later.  It took 6 to get down to the Port Of Brownsville but only 5 to get back.  I played the currents of the tides better.   I was hitting over 10 knots the last third of the trip.  That's quite a quick ride for a boat whose "max" hull speed should be about 8 knots.   The effects of current play a big part on how far you can get in a day.   I left Brownsville and got to Agate (better known as "cluck cluck bridge") Bridge just at "slack tide"--0800 hours.  I encountered a problem with our Garmin chart plotter.  The screen kept flashing on and off.  Finally died about the time I was heading under the bridge.  Those of you that have been following our progress remember the "fun" time I had going under the bridge back on January 20.  I chickened  out just as I was about to head under the bridge.  The chart said 75 foot clearance and all I needed was 64 feet but the eyes can play tricks on you as far as depth perception.  One of the faults of having Lasik surgery done on the eyes I guess.  Yeah, I made it safely but it sure looked close.  This time, I didn't hesitate.  I was at 7 knots as I headed into the pass and just kept on going.  Look at the bridge--look at the rigging.  Look at the bridge--look at the rigging--over and over again.  Sweat started flowing but I was bound and determined to get past the thought of destroying my mast head and it's very expensive rigging by hitting a bridge that I knew I could get under--boy it sure looked low!!  Under I went--my sigh of relief could be heard on shore I'll bet.

Once through the pass and bridge, I slowed to a stop in the next bay and stopped the engine to take a look at the wiring for the Garmin.  It's located in the engine room--hot with lots of moving parts and belts(careful where you stick your fingers).  The wires looked great where I had installed them in September of 07.  I unscrewed and retightened them and started the engine and fired up the Garmin again.  Still blinked on and off.  I unscrewed the cord at the unit--same thing---on-off--on--off.  I finally left it off.  I had a chart plotter from Raytheon that came with Zephyr that I'd bought new electronic charts for plus my Nobeltec electronic chart program was running on a screen right beside me.  Throw in the paper charts we had for Admiralty Inlet and I was fine.  I tried the Garmin one more time and she worked fine till I was just getting into Point Hudson.  I think one of the wires has gotten frayed where it runs near the steering gear.  I'll be pulling and inspecting the unit in the next few days.

Going down, I'd been encased in fog.  This trip was fog free.  I'd taken insurance for having no fog by making sure I installed a fog horn while in Brownsville.  It was cloudy and a bit overcast with a few sun breaks but it didn't get really nice till I got to Point Hudson at Port Townsend.  Then the Sun came out,, the birds chirped and all was well.  The same thing happened when we left Louisiana back in 1995 for Colorado--but that is a whole nother story.

Tracy had driven up and met me at the pump out dock just inside the marina.  We then putt putted over the Sea Marines docks.  Took a few tries to get in alright.  Just enough wind to blow us away from the dock at the last minute where Tracy couldn't make the leap from Zephyr to the dock without killing either herself or her ankles.  Neither a good thing.  So off we went and did it a second time.  No problems this time.  All tied up safe and sound.

We went up to Sea Marine to discuss the installation of the new hatch in the counter--the workman will be down today at 0900 to see what needs to be done.  At $75.00 per hours, I sure hope he is a fast worker.

Off for lunch and a stop at West Marine to pick up the charts we had them order for our trip North through the inside passage.  Again--I've got electronic charts but I like to be a safe sailor and while the paper charts aren't cheap, they are a necessity if you're smart.

Over to see Port Townsend Rigging to see our new carbon fiber spinnaker pole.  At 22 feet, it's a long one.  Being made of carbon fiber, it will weigh in at about 22 pounds.  The same thing in Aluminum would be a lot closer to 50 pounds.  Not a fun thing to muscle on a moving dock--all the while trying to stay on board.  They expect to have it done by then end of the week.  Then all we have to do is figure out how to attach it to Zephyrs stanchions for safe keeping.  It's too long to be kept attached to the mast.  The Spreader Light keeps us from putting it there.  The folks at PT Rigging have some ideas.  We'll just wait and see.

Our son Matt is coming over to spend a few days with us next week before we set off.  It will be great to have him on board again before we go.  

That's about it for now.  We'll see what the wood worker does today.

Have a great day everyone. 

No comments: