Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Day 170 A day of tweaking

Bill is currently in Denver putting our Laguna 26, Sloop to Nuts, to bed for the winter, so I'll do my best in keeping the blog current. So here goes.....

Yesterday started at o dark thirty. The Autumn air was crisp and the stars shining brightly as Bill and I made our way up the hill from the marina to the "bus stop". Bill had to get onto the bus to Poulsbo at 0545 and arrived into Denver at 1930. To say the least it was a long day for both of us. Troy arrived at 0700 and worked on the Wabasto heater's wiring,
connecting it into the circuit board. He also tried to get the strobe feature on the masthead light to work, the switch isn't the problem, it is with the unit at the top of the mast. I think we are in the final stages of fixing here at Sea Marine. Thank Goodness! I've had conversations with both the boat yard and with the rigger that I expect to be shoving off as soon as Bill gets back from Oregon.

Brion and Nathan arrived shortly after Noon and "tuned" the rig. There is a "machine" that they hook onto the wires that tells how much stress there is on the wire and they turn the turnbuckle tighter or looser to the specified requirement. Brion also put the genoa on the furler on the forestay. We actually look like a bonefided sailboat now.

A small "tug" rafted up next to us as they were due to be put on the travel lift at 1600, but they were running late and they didn't get taken out until today. It looked like we had our own personal tug. Not that I wouldn't like one sometimes when the wind is really howling and is taking us sideways in a really confined space.

Today, I slept in as Troy was going to Port Ludlow to fix another boat and I figured it was a "free" day. The cats snuggled in around me and all was right with the world until I felt guilty about snoozing so late. The tug was being separated from Zephyr and the tromping of feet urged me out of bed.

Today, I stitched. I'm determined to finish Shepherd Bush's Happy Haunting. I started it last year at the Heart of the Rockies. I'm down to the bottom "hill" and I really want it done for Halloween this year. I'm getting much better with stitching over one, thanks to Karen Page. When my eyes were blurry I stopped and caught the bus to Safeway for dinner fixings. As I walked up to the boat I saw a cart parked nexted to the steps up to the boat. Gordon was diligently working on one of the shrouds, I guess Brion thought it was a tad too long, so Gordon was fixing it. It was 1630 and getting drizzly. Tomorrow is another day, Gordon or Nathan will be back to continue.

Hopefully, it won't be raining in the morning. Troy is due back on Zephyr tomorrow morning, so the fun just continues on. I think I'll just plant myself on the starboard setee with my light over my shoulder and stitch to my hearts content, after all isn't that what a vacation is all about?...Bill won't be back for a week plus.

More tomorrow.

No comments: