Thursday, October 16, 2008

Day 171 All over the place.

I was all over town today.  I called our internet provider to see why our connection at home was flakey.  She suspected a bad modem and recommended I get a new one.  Did that later in the afternoon.  First stop of the day- the Apple store to get my MacBook looked at.  I have been unable to download the critical updates from Apple all Summer.  I'd set up an appointment for 9:45.  Walked in unzipped my bag and pulled out the computer.  I recognized the "genius" behind the counter.  He looks at me and asks "how's the sailing"!!!  He remembered me from all the time I'd spent there back in February getting the computer fixed.  

Once I booted up the computer, it must have realized it was back in an Apple store.  That's the only reason I can find for the fact that the tech connected to the internet and voila, the critical updates downloaded perfectly!!!  He never touched another key on the machine.  I'd tried for months to get them to download, all with no success.  He touches the key-throws the fear of a complete rebuild into it and it works fine.  Go figure.  At least it works now.

Off to Fancimats to pick up the mail and visit for a few minutes and then over to see Jeff, our ex-landlord.  Missed him.  I'll try again tomorrow.  Then down the street to the Post Office to see my friends there.  They were amazed to see me.  Down to the spice store to get some of a special rub I have come to love(Pikes Peak Rub).  It's great on steak when put on a few hours before I barbecue it.   

Lunch was at Tokyo Joe's.  They make an amazing curry chicken bowl with rice for $4.95.  It's to die for.  I had the same for dinner tonight!!  I'd taken a bunch of their sauce with us when we moved on board but it was long gone.  Now I could have it again--YEAH!!!

While I worked on our old computer at home last night, I heard a strange sound coming from it.  As we all live in fear of the "blue screen of death", I figured it was the hard drive getting ready to crash and burn.  As the computer is about 10 years old, I made arrangement to have the hard drive replaced as soon as possible and all the information in the existing hard drive move onto the new drive.  The last thing I want to have happen is the loss of all the information I have on that computer.  Better safe than sorry.  I'll have it back before I leave Monday.

Off to Micro Center for the modem and then home for installation.  I called our ISP and they walked me through it.  Nice people--Peak to Peak.  I've been with them for many years.  Since you are reading this, the connection worked fine and we are up and running.  The previous modem kept cutting in and out--suspected close call with lightening back in August.  If this modem stays connected, I'll be able to cancel a service call I have set up for tomorrow with Qwest.  

It's like I said at the beginning of this post, it's been a day of running all over the place.  Tomorrow will be the same.

No comments: