Sunday, October 19, 2008

Day 174 Working around the house.

I leave early tomorrow morning so I thought I better get my blog in early--or late tonight.

Today was work around the house day plus show our house sitter how some things work.

First we started by draining the ponds out back. They were filled with plants that keep the algae down to next to nothing. With those taken out--filled 6 garbage bags, we put hoses in and syphoned out the water. While the syphoning was taking place, we changed out one of the flush floppers in the upstairs bathroom. It had been leaking water into the bowl causing it to try and refill the tank on occasion. A waste of water.

Lessons in our snowblower were up next. Flip on the choke, plug it in and hit the start button--first turn the key to on-DUH. She started right up. Blew some smoke but ran just fine. We swapped out places in the garage with the lawn mower so it's easier to get at when it's necessary.

Next, we cleared out a lot of the overgrowth of plants in the back. Or at least the sitter did. I took off for Home Depot for paint and brushes as well as a small roller to do the job. After I got home, we had a quick lunch and went at it. Took a bit of time but the door frame for the garage door looks great. I'd bought a sander so all the old paint was taken off before the new was put on. I came real close to a perfect match to the old paint.

Once that was done, we took off to pick up the old computer from Action Computers. As it turns out, the hard drive was just fine, the power supply was not. The fan had burned itself up and was close to crashing the computer. What is with the Hudson family and electricity? Good thing I listened to the computer the last time I was using her. Once we had the computer, we went to Costco as the sitter had never been there. As many of you that belong to Costco can agree, the first time in is an eye opener. All the great stuff and at great prices.

Home for left overs and get the computer installed back in its cabinet. We labeled the cords for the future just in case it has to be removed again. Once the cords were hooked up, she started right up and is running great.

We watched "Captain Ron" tonight. Our sitter had never seen it. For those of you that haven't, I highly recommend it. One of Kurt Russells best films.

As I leave early tomorrow, It's off to bed. I packed earlier so I'm all set to go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill - I was thinking about your troubles with Qwest and realized another avenue for you to try is letting Qwest know you are contacting the Public Utilities Commission (PUC). Here is their web site: http://www.dora.state.co.us/PUC/

The PUC has juristiction over all public utilities with a monopoly in CO. This would apply with Qwest in your case since they are providing the only line to your home for your internet service even though you are choosing not to use them to provide the actual service.

I had an issue with Excel quite a few years ago and happened to see an article talking about the PUC. I sent a letter to the PUC and then told Excel what I had done. (This was prior to email complaints, etc.) It put the fear of God in Excel. I've never had such a quick response by a company before.

Maybe this might help your situation too. Good luck!

Susan S

S/V Zephyr said...

I'm already composing it.
Bill