Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Day 183 Slowly but surely.

I took apart the radar and added the lithium grease that Raymarine suggested I put on the gears to try and stop the small grinding noise that it has developed.  Here's what the inside looks like.  It took just a small amount and the job was done.  We turned it on and around it went.  It's no better than what it was but hey at least it has new grease.  It still makes that small grinding noise but maybe it is supposed to.  Oh well, I put the cover back on and got on with the next project.  You can't win them all.

There were three lights in the boat that have never worked so I went after them next.  All three are on one wall.  One in the main cabin and two in the forward cabin on the opposite side.  One I fixed a few weeks ago.  It's switch had rusted out.  The one in the main cabin had apparently fried its small circuit board that acts as a dimmer switch.  I swapped it out for one that I had taken off the wall where the TV is now.  I had to merge the two together as the lights weren't identical.  Now it was fixed.  The third had popped a solder joint and with some new solder it was fine.  Now all the lights work on Zephyr.  

The projects continued with adding biocide to the diesel fuel.  Strangely, diesel fuel can grow algae if left untreated.   It's not the diesel that grows the algae but it grows in the water that condenses off the sides of the tank during cold spells if they are not full and pools at the bottom of the tank.  It can really mess up your system if left untreated.

We mailed our election ballots so we have done our patriotic duty.  Al least now I have the right to complain after the election.  Of course, if my candidate wins, I will share in the responsibility of having elected him(not much chance of that).  I found out that here in Port Townsend, there are no election booths on election day.  They only vote by mail!!  They have one of the largest turnouts in the state.  When I mailed our votes, I played devils advocate with the postal clerk that helped me by espousing the fact that having only mail in voting disenfranchises the homeless and the poor since now they have to pay for voting by having to buy a stamp to vote.   He had to think about that for a moment and then agreed with me.

Tracy put some of the canvas over the teak on Zephyrs rail to protect the teaks varnish.  Now she's set for the Winter.

I've got more projects for today.  I'm off to Safeway to try and upload a video or two if possible for the blog.  The Verizon gizmo keeps disconnecting on long uploads and won't allow us to complete them so I need to find a more stable connection.  I'll post a note if I get them uploaded as to where you can see them.

Troy is here fixing the ductwork on Zephyr so we may get to get out later this week for another harbor.  We'll see what Mother Nature throws at us.

Off to more projects!!

No comments: