Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Day 182 More projects. Living the dream?

A day filled with more projects and a long list to go.

I started the day installing a crane that Bill(previous owner) had on Zephyr that will assist us in raising and lowering the outboard motor.  It fits over a ball that is screwed to the teak cap rail and then passes through a ring attached to the stern pulpit.  With a block and tackle it will take care of anything up to 100 pounds.  It will make using the dingy to get ashore much easier.

Sea Marine is having to replace the duct work for the diesel heating system on Zephyr.  While Jack, the electrician  was changing out the alternators, he crushed some of the duct work and now it all needs to be replaced.   The heater requires 3 1/2" ducts while the vents all require either 4" or 5" fittings.  They ordered the duct work last week and it came in this morning.  All the wrong size.  I'd told them 3 1/2" but they ordered 4" because they knew better.  I'd crawled into the engine room and measured but hey, what do I know, I just own the boat.  Today they sent down Troy--another electrician to measure the system.  Why an electrician?  I haven't the foggiest idea.  I'm glad I'm not paying for it.  As he measured, he ripped out all the duct work so now instead of having to replace just a small bit, they get to replace it all.  It is the main stumbling block holding us here as it's too cold to be at anchor in some nice secluded bay without a heater.  It's getting down into the high 30's.  So we wait.  At least we can go out on day sails.

I sewed two of the straps we will be needing so that we can reef the main sail if the wind gets too high.  You use two rings--both stainless steel-- and some 1"nylon webbing and place the rings on either side of the sail, and use the webbing to join them together.  I have to buy some more webbing as I ran out.  It takes more than I thought.  We already have the rings.  At over $11.00 per ring, they don't come cheap.  I'd learned how to do this at the class I took at Carol Hasse Sails.  Carol walks by our boat just about every day and we have time for a quick chat.  She saw me sewing today and love the fact that I was doing something from the class.

I tidied up the deck today taking care of lots of loose lines.  Shortening them up so they fit properly in their spaces.  Re-whipping some as necessary.  When they redid the electronics on deck, they turned off the light on the wind gauge.  I had to unscrew it and turn it back on.  It's a simple thing if you know where the switch is on the gauge.  Luckily, there is a backup gauge inside Zephyr so all I had to do was look a the backside of it.

As I sit here, I keep hearing the fresh water pump going on and off.  It is only supposed to run when the faucet is turned on.  There is no more water running into the bilge so I think the pump may be malfunctioning.  I've already contacted the manufacturer and they are going to replace it.  I bought it back in May so it is still under warranty.  They wanted me to send them the pump and they would send me the replacement.  I explained to them that we live aboard and they are willing to "sell" me a new pump and credit it back upon the return of the one we have here.  I'll get going on that tomorrow--or today as it's after midnight as I type this.

I forgot to tell you what we found last night when we got back from Whidbey Island.  As we walked down the pier, there on deck was Snowshoe waiting for us.  Some one had come on board while we were gone and slid the hatch open.  We have no idea who it could have been but all the kids were still on board.  With there being a family of otters living in the marina, they take a dim view of cats--or any other animals for that matter, and will kill any they find on their territory.  Glad they didn't see the kids while we were gone!!  We may have to lock up the boat in the future.

Well, it's off to bed.  Lots of projects for the next few days.  Rain is scheduled by Thursday. 



 

No comments: