Friday, October 24, 2008

Day 178 Update

One of the comments I received advised me to file a complaint with the PUC(Public Utilities Commission) in Colorado about Qwests treatment on my DSL line.

I filed a complaint and they emailed back that they have no control nor can do anything about Qwest and the internet.  The PUC only makes sure that Qwest provides basic telephone and fax service.  The internet is not regulated by the PUC.  I guess the legislature hasn't caught up with that yet.  We just have to wait for one of them to have problems and then we will hear the cry to battle.

So if you have problems with Qwest and the internet, there is no where to turn other than:
1.  Hope your current ISP is a fighter.
2.  Have your service cut to what ever Qwest feels is OK with then and stay with your ISP.
3.  Find a different way to get internet into your house.
4.  Joint the great folks at Qwest and send them more money for screwing you and your current ISP.
5.  Drop off the world and cancel all internet service.  Good luck with that.

Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm disappointed to hear the CO PUC doesn't have any authority over internet service. Your experience shows why these service monopolies need a little "thump on the back" every once in while from a regulatory agency!

Good luck with the fight!

mhaws said...

Try the FCC, I took this from a site.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is an independent United States government agency. The FCC was established by the Communications Act of 1934 and is charged with regulating interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite and cable. The FCC's jurisdiction covers the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and U.S. possessions.

This should cover any communications, rather than going to utilities.

Also I would get the executive offices number for Qwest and start calling them and e-mailing. They will eventually put you through to someone, but I think the FCC is your best bet. You can try anyway.

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Bill,
That is why I voted with my feet and my money and moved to Comcast for all of my communications needs. Qwest still thinks they have a monoply and they do on bad service.