Sunday, October 19, 2008

Day 173 Errands galore

It's interesting how fast I have gotten back into the "civilization" mode of life.  For the past 6 month, we have lived in "small town USA" with all its laid back ways and friendly people who actually know each other and appear to care about each other.  Suddenly, I'm in the big city with its million plus people, freeways, cut you off, go through red lights, not let you merge let alone look you in the face way of life.  It's back to where I was 6 months ago.  It didn't take long to blend in and become one of the masses.  When Tracy came back to the big city, she was struck by her reaction to all the people and their attitudes as soon as she got off the ferry.  Strangely,  for me, it felt no different from any other day.  There were just more people than what I had been around in a few months.  While I was raised in a small town in Pennsylvania, I have spent the last 40 years in an assortment of big cities.  I'd gotten used to its ways.

Many cruisers get culture shock upon their return to "life" after being "off the grid" sailing by them selves.   They purposely shy away from big cities and stay in small harbors to avoid the hub bub and chaos of the big city.  When they finally do reenter "society"(as we like to think it is), they get a claustrophobic feeling of being closed in.  So far, I'm not there and there is no reason I would be.  We've not yet been "off the grid".  Small towns still have lots of people.  When you're out cruising, you stay in little inlets by yourself or with just a few people at best.  You get used to being alone.  We'll get there hopefully some time this Winter.  

Errands were the call of the day.  I went in search of a boatyard that I had visited several years ago way up North on I-25 that sold used boats.  Since we had had such problems with our current arrangement, I went in search.  It took a while since I couldn't remember their name but I found them.  Unfortunately, they now sell RVs and rent U Hauls.  The boat lift was still there but not a boat to be seen.  We'll just have to look elsewhere.  

Back to the big city and off to see our bank to take care of some paperwork.  Then the hardware store as I needed to pick up some thing so I can fix things around the house.  Sailboats move a lot and require a good bit of maintenance(boy don't we know that!).  Houses may stand still, but things still break.  Sunday will be spent working around the house getting those small little things taken care of that didn't get done before we left.  Some paint, some screws, and some nails.  Little chores.

I leave Monday for Newport to close out things that we'd left there.  With the delays we have experienced, it will be a while before we sail back into that harbor.  We'd figured we would have been there back in August.  And we may be, just not this year.

Oh, by the way, Kathy from Peak to Peak called me yesterday afternoon.  She knows of another person that has experienced what we are going through(see yesterdays blog if you dare).  They got it worked out with Qwest and now all is fine for them.  She is going to contact these people and see if she can find out who they talked to to get it resolved.  There might be hope.  The battle resumes on Monday.  To arms, to arms!!! 

Have a great Sunday!  

No comments: